Sunday, September 3, 2017

The Queen is DEAD.

February 6, 2017
What up Fam! friends! just another solid week here on the small island of Ebeye. first of all i want to give a Shout out to my cute little sister HANNAH CUZ ITS HER BIRTHDAY!!!!!! this week haha. love you sis! 13? dang thats crazy ur a teenager! 

So this week the Queen (LeRooj) of Ebeye died and the funeral was a whole like 5 day process. Everyone on the island went to the funeral ceremonies. so that was our work for the week haha. They will be having a new Irooj/ King soon crowned or whatever. pretty much it just means you get millions of dollars from the US government every year hahaha. 

So here in Ebeye we dont really eat grosss food. I ate turkey neck the other day, but it was actually pretty good. I feel like the meat here is the left over meat from America that they just send here. but its pretty good. One of the foods i like is sashimeat. which is just raw fish served by itself. sometimes its very bloody, but its not bad at all. and i always tell everyone its my favorite so they will feed it to us partly because my comp hates it LOL. im terrible haha.

Well lots of spiritual experiences this week. I also really have a testimony in the power of fasting. I had several investigators cry in lessons this week and expresses their feelings to me, which is very important in helping them progress. One, Akko (18  yrs old, guy), expressed that he really misses his Mom (she died a little bit ago) and so we helped him really understand the Plan of salvation. he now has a baptismal date for next week!
Then Nani, 12yrs was too scared to ask her grandma if she could get baptized. So i fasted the day before and then went and talked to her grandma. Her grandma said that it was her decision and i was sooo happy! Yesterday though i founnd out some very sad news, that her grandma beat her with a big wood paddle sunday night. i dont totally know the reason why yet, but i thnk it has to do with her getting baptized. I wanted to cry/ go fight her grandma. my heart hurts so much for her. I am trying to help her in every way that I can. please pray for her. Nani's best friend's mom told me this story and that she went in and like saved Nani and Nani was screaming and crying and saying "don't leave me dont leave me." you have no idea how much this hurts my heart. I willl be fasting again tomorrow for her.

One more investigator who i want to talk about is Kenye (30 yrs old woman) we teach her and her husband. It was her birthday on sunday so we went and visited her and she was so happy to see us. we sang happy birthday and then gave her a $1 (marshallese custom). then we sat and talked and she explained that she doesnt throw a party because she thinks she has a curse, because many of her family members (her dad, son, mom,) all died around her birthday. She was telling me this and just crying, and she expressed to me that she thinks if she changes that God will bless her. I took the opportunity to share my testimony and again share a little bit about the Plan of salvation. 

Dang i love these people so much! I see so much potential for them and i want them to progress and sometimes is difficult when they get soooo close and then back slide a little. That is life though. 
Love you all!! my Marshallese is doing very well. Im going to move into my new apartment tomorrow! 

Elder Tingey

Also another Shout out to my boy Salty joe mama aka Joe Costello for his advice to me before my mission "Work hard and leave it all out on the island, just like you leave it all on the court." i think about that all the time. 

pics: me  everyday
i found mug root beer and had a classic Gma stoker rootbeer float 

the truck carrying the body of the Queen



No comments:

Post a Comment